May 26, 2009

Personal Market Targets & Publication Stats 2008-2009

Writing & art opportunities are really kicking up. I've got to be extremely careful about over-committing in other areas. I could sabotage it all before I even really get started.

I've really enjoyed writing the column for AcadianaMoms magazine. That's a monthly commitment I truly look forward to, even if I've had trouble keeping to a solid deadline. I never fail to find inspiration when it comes down to the wire. Never a dull moment in this family, and I like to think I'm highly teachable. That makes for a constant influx of ideas.

Now, Lafayette has a new pet magazine: Animal Lovers Guide of Acadiana. I've been aching to write for an animal interest publication. How lucky was that to stumble across the premiere issue on dog-park day? First sub for that one is fired off.

Also received an invitation to sub to Kumu Keli'i Chang's Houston hālau newsletter. Format is completely flexible, so it could be an article, art, fiction, and/or poetry. I have a mind to sub it all, though not all at once.

And, Dr. Billy Fontenot of Louisiana State University at Eunice recently sent out a call for submissions for next year's issue of The Louisiana Review. Formats are art, fiction, and/or poetry. I think I'll go for three out of three there, too.

Reviewed and updated my submissions log tonight: All-time publication rate of 50%.

2008 - 2009 Publication Stats (so far):
  • 40% of lifetime submissions were published 2008-2009.
  • 70% were published locally.
  • 85% offered compensation.
  • 75% nonfiction works, 25% fiction & poetry.
Surprisingly, the bulk of sold works were local nonfiction. I've always thought I'd break into print through fiction. I'm not discouraged, though. Writing professionally, no matter what the content and format, is writing professionally. Once one is accustomed to the process, she has a substantial headstart in placing more ambitious works.

I think I'll have a nice, solid foundation by the time we get our property and I get my little writing studio built. I have 100% faith I'll be right where I need to be to start on that larger work. I have patience, and I'm committed to THAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment